30 October 2009

Almost Unemployed

As I write this I have less that two hours left in my duties here in Central Asia. The time is a bittersweet time; I look forward with intense anticipation and excitement to seeing my family again and reacquainting with friends, but I also will be sad to relinquish command of this great squadron.

Command is tough--deployed command has its own set of challenges through which all commanders must drive. Most significant in my mind is the inability to "decompress" and relax when "at home." It is a huge benefit for me (back at home) to sit with my wife and vent my frustrations and substandard performance peices of the day. While deployed, that decompression simply can't happen. For the past six months, I've felt like I've had to be a commander 24/7, never letting myself relax with other people.

That said, though, this 6-month period--apart from the seperation from my family--has been arguably the most rewarding 6-month period in my 16-year career. The sense of mission accomplishment, the direct impact on the lives of so many people in Afghanistan; it all has been an incredible ride. When I get in front of my squadron today and hand over leadership to my successor, I will be elated, sad, reluctant, and relieved all at once.

Finally, I could not have done this job adequately (let alone as successfully as I've been told) without His protection and wisdom. I am immensely thankful for that--as well as the prayers of you, The Reader. Thank you, and I will see many of you next week.

4 comments:

The Millers said...

Wish we could be there! I hope someday we get pictures at least. It has been a long six+ months, and an incredibly hard job, but I know you've done well, and finished with style! You even could use the same joke as your CoC here! You will get to see many people on your journey home and to our new home in Florida!
Godspeed Cory! Your family is waiting!

The Millers said...

I can not wait for you to come home! We missed you very much.I wish you did not have to go on a deployment.I can not wait for our "Daddy Dates". ( nice paragraph)
;0)
- McK

The Millers said...

I love you Daddy and I miss you Daddy. Mommy misses you too and HJM and McK. How are you? I am fine. What time is it at your place? In Kyrgyzstan. I'm at the computer desk. We are making cookies. I can't wait to see you! I can't wait to open those presents you sent me and McK. McK can't wait to open them too. My birthday is in 3 weeks. When is yours? Is it in 14 weeks 5 days? M3

KIM said...

Congrats......have a safe trip home I know there are 4 people waiting for you!