
This time of year always wrenches at my gut--especially so after 9/11/01. Magnify that by a couple of factors of ten and you, dear reader, will get a sense of how this weekend impacts me while deployed.
Three years ago, I was deployed to Afghanistan. Memorial Day was significant, and the chapel service was heart-wrenching. I was proud to be associated with warriors who have given their all in defending our country or helping protect the denizens of other countries.
This weekend, though, my heart goes out to a family in St Louis. The Schulte family lost their daughter this week. On her way home, it was an honor to facilitate her travel back to her family. Lt Schulte transited through here on her way home due to myriad aircraft scheduling details. My squadron had the honor of transporting her off the aircraft to safe-keeping overnight, then back on another aircraft the following morning. Saluting the arriving airlift as it pulled into its parking spot, and saluting as she was carried off the aircraft and on an aircraf the next day will be memories that stay with me for a long time.
In some ways, I wish more people could feel the pride I have for my association with warriors of all services like Lt Schulte. If they did, perhaps Memorial Day would mean more than a day off and a reason to drink a case of beer.
God bless you, Schulte family, for your support to this country through your daughter, and may He ease your grief. May He also continue to bless our great Country and her people.
2 comments:
Great post my friend. Thank you.
Thank you LM. I am proud to serve alongside you and desertjudge.
Post a Comment